Deregulation is going to change the financial and insurance market if it happens. This explains how and gives five specific companies as examples. The hopes of these companies are discussed. They’re companies you have probably heard of. This is a good place to start learning about deregulation if you don’t yet understand what it will do.
Why did the American legal system, at a very early date, differentiate between betting on sports and betting on the stock market?Sports gambling can give athletes an incentive to play poorly and bet on their opponents, but stock gambling can likewise give the managers of corporations an incentive to manage poorly and sell the stock short. The transactions approved as speculation, on the other hand, involved some other useful societal end, even if the risks associated with speculation were indistinguishable from the risks associated with gambling.
- The day after the Super Bowl, speculators will place bets that stock prices will go up or down, that interest rates will rise or fall, that currency exchange rates will move in one direction or another.
- In the late 19th and early 20th centuries, there was an intense political and legal controversy over whether people should be allowed to risk money on the prices of things they do not own, such as by buying and selling grain futures without owning any grain.
- The difference between betting on sports and betting on the stock market—and more broadly the distinction between unlawful gambling and lawful speculation—was based primarily on the idea that risk is tolerable as a means to some greater end, but that it’s not a worthwhile end in itself.
“As gambling has lost some of its moral stigma over the past few decades, the enjoyment of risk for its own sake has increasingly come to be understood as little different from other forms of entertainment.”
Buying or selling stock is risky but you can cut down on that by keeping an eye on the market. You can find info on that in many places. This talks about what’s going on with some of the popular stocks. It’s good info for a trader to read or for someone who’s doing research before trying to get into this.
There has been a huge week for financial stocks. There actually could still be time to buy. Bank stocks have closed out this week on a high note and have had their best day since November. A lot of strategists say there is still time to run. The banks have come a pretty long way.
- Bank stocks closed the week on a high note, on Friday logging their best day since November, and some strategists say there’s more room to run.
- And the S&P 500 financial sector also led the pack Friday, as financials rose nearly 2 percent and also turned in its best day since November 14th.
- Differences between short- and long-term rates are seen as positives for the banks, since they generally borrow money in the short-term and lend it in the long-term.
“Bank stocks closed the week on a high note, on Friday logging their best day since November, and some strategists say there’s more room to run.”